Monday, June 9, 2008

Science as broadcast journalism

In your journal, you are a local newscaster reporting the news. During your broadcast, you receive information that a major earthquake has struck a city in another part of the country. You must interrupt the regular news to present an emergency news bulletin. Write that bulletin, following the five W’s. [What, Where, When, Who, and Why]

From the Science Explorer series, published by Prentice Hall and intended for students in middle school.

Would Brian Greene approve?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

And wait a minute...Since it's SCIENCE class I bet that ENGLISH assignment won't even get properly proof-read.

I've got to tell you, the more I read education blogs the more confident I become that I can't possibly do any worse by homeschooling my kids.

lefty said...

And you can bet that there isn't an English assignment that's mostly about the science of earthquakes!