Sunday, August 24, 2008

Golf counters : better than Ritalin

I've finally bit the bullet and purchased a golf counter (at $2.95) for my autistic son. We've taken it on vacation with us, and, for the most part, it's working like a charm.

Taking my inspiration from Clara and Jessy Park, I've put him in charge: he gives himself 10 points for every 15 minutes of no misbehaving, and (for the most part) subtracts the number of points we tell him to for bad behavior (running off; locking people in rooms; yelling; wiping on his shirt; deflating air mattresses....)

He's so into marking off these fifteen minute intervals that he'll do so even if he's in the middle of a bare, sloping rock face high up in the Adirondacks.

Today I had to confiscate the counter and do the clicking and (occasional) rewinding myself, as he'd started to cheat. Even with me in charge, his behavior has improved remarkably. He seems calmer, more in control, more content.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but we're all hoping (including he) that he can be put back in charge of it.

1 comment:

Liz Ditz said...

I had to go look up "golf counter", because I couldn't visualize what you were using.

Post a photo? More details? Sounds like it could help a lot of folks.