Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Summer projects, III: Not conforming to nonconformity

We've just completed the Literacy component of my son's summer projects, which includes:

Write a one-page, double spaced, Times New Roman discussion about the theme of conformity in Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl.  How do you feel about conformity?  Do you think it's important to act and dress like everyone else does?
From my autistic son's (one-page, double spaced, Times New Roman) response:
I think everybody should wear the same clothes and act normal, so people don't laugh at me.
I'm guessing that this isn't quite the response they were looking for. But my son is immune to pressures from teachers to conform to the expected bromides about the ills of nonconformity.

What grade this meta-nonconformity will earn him remains to be seen.

No comments: