Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Autism Diaries V: Hubris (or is it Advent?)

"If I pretend to be God, what happens?"

"Why would anyone believe you?" I reply.

But he's certainly acting like God, at least on the computer.

I left him to his own devices for a little while, and he went to town:

1. Made himself an administrative user;
2. Changed the password on mom's user account and entered as mom;
3. Changed the parental controls so mom can't use the computer when she tries to log on in the morning;
3. Changed mom's email password (via his grandmother's maiden name);
4. Changed the settings on mom's email account so that all mom's incoming and outgoing emails bounce over to his account, leaving no trace on mom's account;
5. Replied to a bunch of emails addressed to mom, in mom's name.
"I don't want Mommy to be on the computer while I'm at school," he partially explained.

3 comments:

Liz Ditz said...

I'm laughing and holding my head at the same time.

I could tell you some non-computer antics my two NT boys (now grown men) got up to, back in the day.

I promise you that this will be an amusing anecdote in about 10 years.

I hope you got everything back to where it started, without too much trouble or too many bad side-effects.

Liz Ditz said...

And just in time:

"Jon Scieszka’s new book is called “Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Mostly True Stories About Growing Up Scieszka” [Viking, Illustrated, $16.95, Ages 8 and up]. "

Read more tales of knuckleheads here:

http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/are-you-a-knucklehead/

Mrs. C said...

Oh... wow... I'd be sooo mad.