Thursday, April 9, 2009

Math problems of the week: 3rd grade Everyday Math vs. Singapore Math

1. From the final money problem (the second to last problem overall) in the 3rd grade Everyday Mathematics Workbook (Student Math Journal, Volume 2), p. 317.

I bought a beach ball for $1.49 and a sand toy for $3.96. How much change will I get from a $10 bill?

$ ___

2. From the final money problem (the final problem overall) in the 3rd grade Singapore Math Workbook (Primary Mathematics 3B), p. 184.

Lauren received an allowance of $6.00 last week. She spent 3 quarters on candy and $3.60 on a book.
(a) What fraction of a dollar did she spend on candy?
(b) How much money did she have left?

3. Extra Credit:

The list price of the 3rd grade Everyday Mathematics Workbook (Student Math Journal, Volume 2) is $9.15 and the list price of the 3rd grade Everyday Mathematics Workbook Answer Book (Journal Answer Teacher Book, Volume 2) is $19.65. The list price of the 3rd grade Singapore Math Workbook (Primary Mathematics 3B) is $11.50 and there is no corresponding teacher answer book.
(a) Compute the total cost of the two workbooks, and of the two workbooks plus the Everyday Math answer book. What fraction of these two totals is the cost of the Singapore Math workbook? (If you are an Everyday Math user, you may use your calculator to solve this problem).
(b) Dicuss the need for answer books in the two curricula.

6 comments:

Mrs. C said...

HEY! FYI, I have fourth grade Sinapore Maths here (US edition) and the kits from Sonlight have a teaching/ answer book. The teacher books have some ideas and additional exercises that would correspond to the lesson.

We also have a computer game through the Singapore Math people that we bought from Sonlight. It's called "Vroot and Vroom," and has exercises that also correspond to the workbooks and text for third and fourth grades.

:]

Mrs. C said...

Sorry, I guess I didn't proofread well before... Singapore. I can spell sometimes :]

Lori said...

Hi! Recently I started exploring Singapore Math because I am quite intrigued. I know Everyday Math is based on National Council for Teachers of Math (NCTM) standards and is a spiral approach. Even having taught it I recognize that it is far to basic for some students and, for others, it is just not repetitive enough. In our district, the Math curriculum is not due to be revised for a few years, but I would love to gain as much insight into Singapore Math as possible so that I might be able to start some discussions. Thanks to Lefty for introducing me to it!

Lori said...

Ok, I can't spell either! to basic should be too basic. Yikes!

lefty said...

Lori,
That's great--I know many kids who just love Singapore Math, and I really wish it had been around when I was in school. Best of luck with initiating discussions about it. I'd love to hear more about how those discussions go as time goes on.

Michael Paul Goldenberg said...

Oh, Lefty, you're so clever. More snide cracks about calculators and EM users! How very witty.

I would love to "play" your silly games, but my time is very short just now. You should have come onto my blog a few weeks ago when I had a lot more time for this kind of thing. For now, let me simply point out that your "dare" (you were, in essence, "daring" me to allow your last post on my blog) was a sure-fire way to ensure I would not let it through. Schoolyard tactics are not any more appealing to me now than they were when I was actually a schoolboy.

Further, I don't think my blog is the place to discuss what obviously is YOUR agenda: after all, you've got your audience here. If I decided to post some similarly loaded comparisons of SM, EM, and INVESTIGATIONS, your comments would be welcome. But that wouldn't be the way I would do things. I don't play the rigged games of others, nor do I rig games in my own favor.

Clearly, you dislike progressive ideas in mathematics education (or at least some of the books that emerged from the early waves of the reform movement of the last two decades). Of course, that's your prerogative, though if you wanted to do SM proud, you shouldn't be so arch about its "competitors." I very much doubt that ANYONE in Singapore thinks about the national curriculum there with the same sort of snide chauvinism that its American supporters evidence when they try to bash specific US programs with it. The Singaporean mathematics educators with whom I've met (wonder which ones you've met with, Lefty) were modest, reasonable people who seemed to have a great deal of respect for US mathematics education (but not blindly so). It's odd that the Mathematically Correct and NYC-HOLD folks who drool over Singapore Math don't seem to be able to countenance the SLIGHTEST criticism of it. That strikes me as fanatical, almost religious. On the other hand, I've openly critiqued things about many progressive textbook series, not for political or ideological purposes, but in order to suggest ways to improve matters. That's one major difference between me and the right wing anti-reform bashers I've had to deal with these past 17 years or so of the Math Wars.

Ironic, then, that you call yourself "Lefty." Everything about you and your blog suggests quite a different political and social viewpoint. Again, your prerogative, of course. But it is ironic.

When you have something new to say, something I've not heard from the more well-established reform haters, do visit my blog again. Especially visit if you're interested in intellectual discourse rather than winning rigged contests. I'm too old for that sort of nonsense.