Sunday, August 16, 2009

The lofty heights of the health-care debate: where are the cool-headed left-brainers?

So, on the one hand, we have Sarah Palin and others on the right somehow reading evil "death panels" into the Obama administration's proposed health care reform.

On the other hand, we have people on the left boycotting Whole Foods because its CEO wrote a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed piece opposing the proposed health care reform, not because of "death panels", but (in part) by arguing that Americans need to take more personal responsibility for their health.

And we have Princeton professor Melissa Harris-Lacewell reading racial overtones in such opposition by arguing on NPR's All Things Considered that "language of personal responsibility is often a code language used against poor and minority communities."

It seems that, at least when it comes to health care reform, one cannot open one's mouth without facing boycotts or accusations of racism or death paneling.

I can't think of a time when I've been more dismayed by public discourse. Please, let's turn down the thermostat and turn on the lights. Left-brainers, please speak up!

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

I totally agree with you. The angry discourse that has been taking place on both sides of the debate had had this left-brainer so upset that I have not been able to watch the news for the last week. I am planning on downloading the entire proposed bill and wading through it myself so I will know exactly what it says and not just want special interest groups want me to know.