Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out today: "Raising a Left-Brain Child in a Right-Brain World"

While this book is most obviously for parents of left-brainers, it originated as more of a general education critique. That is, I've always used lay terms "left-brain" and "right-brain" (with the concepts they casually denote as organizing principles), but initially spent more time arguing that "right-brain" trends--the emphasis on sociability and uninstructed visual "creativity" over analytical essays and mathematically challenging math problems for example-- are bad for all students, left- and right-brained.

But focusing, specifically, on the very real needs of left-brain students gives me a more personal, specific-child-focus that should bypass some of the political polarization of the education debate. And I do strongly believe that left-brainers, in particular, are being shortchanged by The System--in all the ways I've discussed in this blog as well as in the book.

On the other hand, I continue to believe that the "right-brain" trends I talk about are bad news for all students.

On the third hand, if you know anyone with a bright, quirky, and/or social awkward child who is frustrated and/or under-performing at school, I certainly won't discourage you from mentioning this book to them.

No comments: