Monday, January 4, 2010

Favorite comments of '09: Deirdre Mundy on 7th grade holiday math project

Re 7th grade holiday math project: Just because I care about you, Deirdre Mundy writes:

Wait-- is the lamp considered a major appliance (you plug it in!)? or is it a piece of clothing? (You can wear the shade!)

Will the booklet be graded on neatness, or just the quality of arithmetic? What if my family doesn't HAVE any catalogues or junk mail? What if I don't have 20 people? Is it OK to make some up?

Can I say, "This is a load of @#%@" and then just count on the final exam to make sure I get at least a B in the class? Heck, I'll even settle for a C if I can skip all the cutting and pasting and just do the math instead!!!!

(Projects like this are why I home school. Seriously--why take 30 minutes worth of math and turn it into 3 hours of tears????)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I always agree with the "What if we don't have the catalogs?" The magazines to which my family subscribes don't have a lot of pictures either. I never know what I'm supposed to do. I pull out grocery circulars, but those never seem right either.