Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Autism diaries XXVII: roundup of the latest experimentation and mischief

Let's order 3 lbs of squid from the fish counter while Daddy's not looking. Surprise: the fish guy fills my order!

While Daddy's driving, let's rig his cell phone to forward all calls to W's cell phone (W's has 10 ceiling fans so I have her number memorized). That way, when Mommy tries to call Daddy from the train to find out where to meet him, (surprise!) she'll instead be calling W.

Let's put my Malen vibrating bed-wetting alarm on my floor, angle my Radio Shack solar panel eastwards, and hook the one up with the other in such a way that the electricity generated by the latter triggers the wetness sensor on the former. That way when the sun rises my parents below me are awoken by a loud, low rumble overhead unlike anything that's ever woken them up before.

Let's put a tomato in the freezer and see what happens.

7 comments:

Deirdre Mundy said...

OK--the solar-sensor bedwetting thing is GENIUS. You've gotten this kid snap-circuits, right?

If you can work on minimal social skills (enough to be "eccentric genius" level of normal) then you may be raising the guy who comes up with the innovation that is the 'next big thing!'

Amy P said...

I put peaches in the freezer as a kid. The results were disappointing (as I'm sure the tomato was).

Deirdre Mundy said...

My dad apparently had great luck with "frogs and salamanders in the ice cubes" as a boy. But his pranks were aimed at making sisters scream, not parents groan.

Katharine Beals said...

Yes, he has snap-circuits--indeed, they figured prominently in this latest "project".


How does one fit salamanders and frogs into ice cube tray compartments? Or was some other method used?

Deirdre Mundy said...

Well, spring peepers are very small, so they fit in well. As are some salamanders. And for the others, if you, say, freeze them and put them in the container used for finished cubes, and your sister grabs a handfull and dumps them into her coke w/o looking, and then the salamanders thaw and wake up....

Well, apparently it's legendary. I have NOT let my kids do this, because I LIKE the frogs and salamanders and don't want them to get hurt or scared. :)

But more seriously, if your kid likes electronics, understands electronics and is GOOD at electronics, you should totally encourage him! Maybe you can redirect some of the 'prank' into "useful?" Like hit thrift stores, pick up non-functioning devices, and challenge him to fix them?

Liz Ditz said...

What did you do with the squid?

I can see how it's all making you pull your hair out, but these are the stories (well, probably not the squid one) you'll be telling with pride when he is 35

Katharine Beals said...

@Liz, fortunately, he loves squid (it's the only meat he eats) and is working on it.

@Deirdre, I googled the frog & salamander prank, and found this:
http://curiousnature.info/A1-Woodfrog.htm