Thursday, August 4, 2011

Math problems of the week: Interactive Math Program vs.1900's Math

I. The first homework assignment in Interactive Mathematics Program: Integrated High School Mathematics, Year 1 [click to enlarge]:


II. The first assigment in Wentworth's New School Algebra, published in 1898 [click to enlarge]:


III. Extra Credit

a. Which assignment is more tedious?

b. What grade should you get on the first assignment if you cite it as one of the experiences that you do not like, and list only disadvantages for group work.

c. Should you expect your teacher to respect your preferences for group work vs. working alone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! This first assignment makes me want to scream! I love your question about which would I find more tedious -- I look at that set of problems and my mouth almost waters!

I recently stumbled across your blog and I'm so glad I did. Having a kid (headed for med school now)who has literally dropped college classes if he had to do something like example A, I am so excited to see someone pointing this out, this bias toward right-brain pseudo thinking. Oh, boy, do we have examples around here!

Sandy in Florida

Thanks for blogging!

Richard Evans said...

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny

Anonymous said...

Regarding the first assignment - to riff off an 80s commercial:

"Where's the math?!?"