Friday, November 25, 2011

Math problems of the week: 4th grade Investigation vs. Singapore Math

Early 4th grade multiplication problems

I. A (TERC) Investigations homework sheet, assigned in late November [click to enlarge]:





II. The first 4th grade Singapore Math multiplications problems (Primary Mathematics, 4B workbook):


III. Extra Credit
How many points should a child get for answering "I memorized my multiplication tables" as his or her explanation for his or her answers to the Investigations problems?

Should Singapore Math teachers be concerned if a student attempts to solve the Singapore Math multiplication problems using Investigations-type "Array Cards"?

2 comments:

KimS said...

In a true Investigations school, like the one my children regrettably attend, answering "How did you solve 8 x 8" with "I know my times tables" will earn them a 0. Even "8 x 8 = 64" will earn them a zero. Counting all of the squares on the array and putting the numbers in each square (1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6...), however, will earn them full points. And challenging the classroom teacher when she awards zero for "8 x 8 = 64" and " i know my times tables", will give you the response, "I know he solved it correctly, but I'll get fired if I give him full points for answering that way."

Katharine Beals said...

KimS, Wow. Thanks for sharing this. Did you actually witness a teacher saying she would get fired for this?