Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Barry Garelick, Lsquared, kcab, and kathyiggy on Edworld double speak

(http://oilf.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-edworld-double-speak.html)

Barry Garelick said...
"Mere facts" and "mere procedures" are the diminutives that I've heard professors use when referring to math education and other subjects. I heard a teacher admonish her algebra class that "You have to learn how to apply your knowledge to new situations", as if this is something that one can consciously do without the necessary undergridding leading up to problem solving.

Lsquared said...

"For years now I've found myself increasingly nauseated by phrases like "higher level thinking"..."

Yeah, looking at "standards based curricula" will do that to you.

kcab said...

I've had a similar change in response to those catch phrases… After all, who in the world wants to be against conceptual understanding or creativity (as they are defined outside of the ed-world)?

kathyiggy said...

What about "taking ownership of your learning"? That one annoys me to no end. They are also using that ownership stuff in professional development courses at work too.

No comments: