Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Deirdre Mundy on Why we can’t trust math (and STEM) professors

(http://oilf.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-we-cant-trust-math-and-stem.html)

Deirdre Mundy said...

I just realized something about 21st century skills.
When I was in High School, I was at an STEM magnet. We had excellent Math and Science. We also had some "21st century skills" type projects. For instance, we spent a lot of time doing presentations in Hypercard, learning to use Dialogue, and using Lynx to search the web.

Three years later, Google was ubiquitous. I still use my math, science, and even history of science. Dialogue and Lynx? yeah, right.

We can't predict what technological changes are coming--- time spent blogging or creating power point slides is wasted. It's better to focus on content, since that DOESN'T change, and new methods are easy to learn.

No comments: