Friday, January 13, 2012

Math problems of the week: 4th grade Investigations vs. Singapore Math

I. A 4th grade (TERC) Investigations homework assignment, assigned in early January:

II. An assignment from the very beginning of the 4th grade Singapore Math curriculum (Primary Mathematics 4B, pp. 40-41):
III. Extra Credit:
If you were a foreign power intent on undermining the technological future of the U.S., which math curriculum would you hire conspirators to sell to the U.S. education establishment?

5 comments:

Rivka said...

My daughter is homeschooled and uses the British math curriculum MEP. The TERC Investigations lesson looks a lot like what's coming up for her in a couple of weeks... at the end of the second grade book.

Oh, crap, I'm never going to be able to send her to public school, am I?

dan dempsey said...

Rivka,

You have made a correct analysis. Successfully completing TERC grade 5 math materials prepares kids to enter grade 4 math in most programs. .... Of course that would be ready for the start of Singapore Math grade 3.

FedUpMom said...

Katharine, your side-by-side comparisons of Singapore and fuzzy math is the reason I teach both my kids with Singapore. Thanks for that!

My younger daughter is in a public school that just brought in Investigations. In 2nd grade, it hasn't been too terrible, mostly shallow and not providing enough practice (I'm walking her through Singapore 1B at home). But in 4th grade they're doing 101 + 1? Holy cow.

ncluff said...

Comparing Singapore day 1 with TERC from January? The only scam here is the one you are perpetrating.

Katharine Beals said...

"Comparing Singapore day 1 with TERC from January?"

That's precisely the point!

One might also make comparisons to what Singaporean math students are learning in 5th grade to what American math students are learning in 3rd grade.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scam," ncluff, but welcome to "Out in Left Field." I look forward to hearing from you again.