Friday, February 24, 2012

Math problems of the week: introductory algebra in CPM vs. Singapore Math

I. The first 3 pages in College Preparatory Mathematics (CPM)'s Foundations for Algebra, Year 2 [click to enlarge]:




II. The first 3 pages in 6th grade Singapore Math, Primary Mathematics 6A [click to enlarge]:




III. Extra Credit

Is there any answer a student could give in response to "What kinds of activities do you find frustrating?" that would allow him or her to opt out of any aspect of CPM?

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I've always been good at spotting BS assignments and ignoring them. I would fail math if I were in school today. And they would probably just say I was learning disabled.

Barry Garelick said...

You raise an interesting point, Cynthia. You raise the question of how many students have been identified as learning disabled because of ineffective instruction (be it math, English, history, etc). I looked at this question in the article here.