Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The true parent trigger option

The growing stranglehold of Constructivism on our K12 schools (including many private and charter schools) means that, for growing numbers of parents, there may be only one true "parent trigger option" left. For those of us with flexible work schedules, at least, there'll always be home schooling.

Just days ago a local friend told me she's decided to homeschool two of her kids. She came over yesterday afternoon to look at my materials. Like me and my daughter, she and her kids are tired of all the busywork, all the developmentally inappropriate expectations, and all the judgmental assessment-for-the-sake-of-assessment (as opposed to assessment for the sake of instruction).

She's anticipating what I've found to be the case: that it's not much more time consuming, and a lot less stressful for all concerned, to home school your kids than to help them survive regular school. (Where by survive school I mean get through it without suffering long-term psychological damage, academic delays, and an increasing distaste for learning).

In brief, she says, she's homeschooling in order to reduce stress.

Wouldn't it be nice if flexible work options continue to grow so that more and more parents have this educational option? I'm assuming, of course, that no other state will try what California has tried and failed to do, and that, no matter how bad it all gets, we will always have home schooling.

3 comments:

James O'Keeffe said...

There's much the public schools can learn from the homeschooling movement. When I taught seventh grade I drew heavily on Susan Wise Bauer's materials in lieu of a coherent school curriculum.

Anonymous said...

If your kids are in a constructivist school and they are not failing standardized testing, you are homeschooling.

Auntie Ann said...

I would love to see a study done on where kids actually learn to read. My guess is for most kids of middle to upper income, they almost never learn to read at school, but are taught by their parents.

That leaves the middle and poor kids to struggle in schools that are philosophically opposed to actually teaching.