Saturday, December 29, 2012

Favorite Comments of '12: Ed, Philip, ChemProf, and Anonymous

On How to disempower the best teachers and students

Ed said...
Teaching their peers? Are they nuts!
The bullying I received when my teacher tried that because they couldn't find things for me to do.

Plus kids "love" being taught by the geek in the room.
Philip said...
Well, our association is fighting for it right now, but then again we're fighting for a lot.

I will say the flip side of that coin you're tossing around is that "gifted/talented" often turns into "highly motivated/comes from a good family." I understand people getting upset about this type of segregation as well.
ChemProf said...
OK, Philip, but what's the solution to that type of segregation? My just-turned-three-year-old can do a lot of things that my mother's low SES kindergarteners are barely mastering at the end of the year. If there aren't G/T options, then she basically sits in the corner until the other kids catch up. If I needed the babysitting, I guess I could just plan on teaching her everything after school, but that doesn't fix your problem either.

I am actually very sympathetic to the argument that schools can't make that much of a difference given the challenges in many childrens' home lives. But at some point, they have to explain why they need lots of my tax money but they won't educate my kid beyond some minimum threshold (admittedly, I am in California, where there is no money for G/T but where my local elementary school has a very well-funded anti-bullying curriculum, so I may be extra cynical). Or they need to admit that their job is only to get kids to that minimum standard, and accept that a lot of parents will opt out.
Anonymous said...
It was a big mistake to call accelerated and/or enriched education "gifted and talented." That really rubs many people the wrong way. A better idea is to just group the kids by readiness level, informally, and temporarily.

No comments: