Thursday, October 10, 2013

Math problems of the week: 4th grade 1920s math vs. Investigations

I. The final problem set in Hamilton's Essentials of Arithmetic, Lower Grades (2nd through 4th grade), published in 1919 [click to enlarge]:



II. The final problem set in the 4th grade Investigations Student Activity Book, published in 2007 [click to enlarge]:


III. Extra Credit

1. Hamilton's textbook is 222 pages long and covers three years of study; the Investigations Activity book is 451 pages long, each page having about twice the area of Hamilton's pages, and covers one year of study. Which book covers math in greater depth?

2. The material in the Investigations is "based on work supported by the National Science Foundation ('NSF') under Grant No. ES1-0009459." Hamilton's book, in contrast, is based on the work of Samuel Hamilton, Ph.D., LLD., Superintendent of Schools, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. What does this suggest about which book is based on more scientifically sound theories of math instruction?

2 comments:

Auntie Ann said...

At back-to-school night, our 6th grader's math teacher mentioned that they use the common core as a guideline as well as information for "best practices" from the NCTM.

I rolled my eyes. I'm sure that sounded really scientific and cool to everyone else.

momof4 said...

253I was pleased to be able to attend my oldest grandkids' Back to School Night and even more pleased to hear "We use Singapore Math" (which I knew). My second-graders' homework was reviewing addition, subtracting and place values (including two and three digit numbers), in real workbooks, while I was there (weeks 2 and 3).