Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Favorite comments of '13, cont: Anonymous

On The Common Core and the special ed fantasy



Anonymous said...
Our school decided that all classes are to be college prep. No exceptions. Our special ed. students can go to resource room with one of two teachers who both are about students getting passing grades, not learning--they give the kids answers (three students come back from taking test and every answer matches-even the short answer questions. I have two students in American Lit who are reading at 2nd grade level and whose ability to comprehend the material, to make inferences, to write a complete sentence are at that level or lower. I have begged special ed teachers to help me find age-appropriate material that is on their reading level to no avail. We are just expected to pass them along. It makes me burn inside every day that no matter what I do, I can't change this; my student load is 150 students, 4 different preps.

No comments: