Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Favorite comments of '13, cont: momof4 and shiftingphases.com

On What could be more important than grit? Listen and learn.


momof4 said...

Expecting even very young kids to pay attention was something that used to be a routine part of raising a family. Homes were adult-centered, with adults teaching kids to participate appropriately. Even toddlers were taught how to do simple tasks like putting clothes in the laundry and setting the table, and they were expected to behave and interact during family dinners (which used to be a daily norm). By the time they hit school, kids were accustomed to being taught by adults (parents), doing chores and were able and willing to pay attention to the teacher and to persist at their work. Now, kids arrive with the attention span of a gnat, expect to be entertained and expect school to be both easy and fun.

shiftingphases.com said...
I wish I could ignore advice like KIPP's SLANT. I teach adults in a community college -- wouldn't it be great if my students were so far beyond this that we could all take it for granted? Unfortunately, I don't live in that world. I don't know if SLANT would work in an adult classroom or if students would mutiny at feeling so patronized. Regardless, each year I have to find a way to set these expectations, because most of my students find them completely surprising and alien.

No comments: