Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Favorite comments of '13, cont: kcab, Anonymous, Auntie Ann, C T and Deirdre Mundy

On The Testing Industrial Complex


kcab said...
My theory is that the problem was "Iowa" in the name. Identifying a test with a particular state makes it look specific to that state.
Anonymous said...
I can remember taking the ITBS in the '50's. Didn't take much time, there was no test-prep involved (other than 5 minutes on how to fill in the form).
Auntie Ann said...
We didn't take them in the 70's, but I remember calling the tests that we *did* take the "Iowa Test". It was a generic name for standardized tests back then.
C T said...
I homeschool in Colorado, which requires periodic testing with a nationally-normed test, so I have given my nine-year-old the ITBS. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it. It seemed like a fair test of the stated skills and knowledge, and its results accurately reflected my child's weaknesses and strengths. It even helped me convince her that she really wasn't doing as well as she thought in math. She was SO dismayed when she ran out of time with over half the calculation questions left. Sometimes a kid needs to see how they measure up against the norm for their age group, even if it is an unpleasant dose of objective reality.
Deirdre Mundy said...
I imagine that 'what was wrong' was that the scores track way too closely to IQ.

At least, that was how it ended up when we used to take them as kids. They actually used them to screen for the GT program!

Also, they were low stress and fun. So they don't encourage teaching to the test.... 

No comments: