Sunday, January 4, 2015

Favorite comments of '14, concluded: Anonymous, Auntie Ann, and Deirdre Mundy

On Math problems of the week: Common Core-inspired algebra problems:


Anonymous said...
Augmented matrices are covered in the Algebra II texts I've used with my kids (Lial and Foerster). The issue with the problem you showed is that you don't have to know how to do anything with matrices other than set the problem up.
Auntie Ann said...
I don't think I saw matrices until my differential equations class in college.

Deirdre Mundy said...
We had matrices starting in Algebra. Had to crank them out by hand until Calculus, when we were suddenly allowed to use graphing calculators.

They were presented as an easy way to solve systems of equations, but often seemed to take more work than NOT using a matrix!

Katharine Beals said...
I didn't learn matrices until college-level Linear Algebra, and I do not think it would have been useful to have learned about them any sooner than that.

No comments: