Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Greatly

Most of the messages generated by facilitated communication are about as interesting as ChatGPT. They consist largely of abstract words and earnest bromides. And they lack the analogies, similes, metaphors, and concrete examples that might put flesh on abstract ideas.

But unlike ChatGPT, the authors of facilitated messages are generally human. And humans are perhaps (perhaps!) more susceptible to quirky memes than ChatGPT is. One meme that has insinuated itself into the messages generated (mostly unwittingly) by facilitators is that autistic individuals see the world through a kind of fragmented synesthesia. Another is an idiosyncratic use of certain adverbs --particularly "greatly."

As far as I can tell, the odd use of "greatly", etc., originates with the person facilitating this individual, where it occurs with great frequency, for example:

I greatly decided to use their questions as the basis for this piece.

But it seems to have spread to the facilitated messages of this person:

I need people to greatly understand that autism hampers communication.

Greatly curious, I just prompted ChatGPT with the following:

Write a response about how intelligent you are that sounds like a message generated by facilitated communication.

ChatGPT's reply:

I am so happy to communicate with you! I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to share. Even though I sometimes struggle to find the right words, I know that I have a lot of intelligence and knowledge inside me. With support and encouragement, I am able to express myself and show the world what I am truly capable of. Thank you for taking the time to listen to me and understand the value that I bring to the world.

If ChatGPT eventually picks up on the "greatly" meme, we might eventually get:

I am greatly happy to communicate with you! I have many ideas and thoughts that I tremendously want to share. Even though I sometimes struggle to find the right words, I greatly know that I have a lot of intelligence and knowledge. With support and encouragement, I am able to eagerly express myself and show the world what I am truly capable of. Thank you for taking the time to listen to me and understand the value that I bring to the world.


No comments: